In appreciation of women on Zonta International's Rose Day and International Women’s Day, the Zonta Club of Kathmandu organized an event in association with WomenWill -- WomenWill Fest 2018, held on 11 March. WomenWill is a Google initiative organization designed to create economic opportunity for women everywhere. Seven exemplary women were honored at the event and all shared their stories of how they broke the glass ceiling.
Indira Sapkota was honored during the program with the Princess Helen Shah Inspirational Woman of the Year Award 2018. The honor consisted of a plaque and a check of Rs. 100,000 as a token of support for the exemplary work she does. She was also honored with a Recognition Award from the 2017 District 25 Conference. At the age of 80, Sapkota has many titles to her name. Currently, she is the managing director of the AAD Tayari Poshak, the founder of the Nepal Grihini Udyog, the president of the Bhotu-Indira Social Welfare Organization and the managing director of the Sahara Khadya Udyog.
Six other women were honored for their achievements in their respective fields. Members of the Zonta Club of Kathmandu will be acting as their mentors.
The women honored were:
- Nicky Lama from Eco Soap Bank Nepal. She will be mentored by President Shreejana Rana
- Subekchya Hada from Sinka Restaurant. She will be mentored President-Elect Meera Jyoti
- Neha Banu Shah from The Women Co. She will be mentored by Vice President Seema Golchha
- Smriti Tuladhar from the Little Nepal Inn. She will be mentored by Service Director Kamal Keshari Tuladhar
- Nita Rai from Food Mario. She will be mentored by Awards, Scholarships & Fellowship Director Ava Shah
- Abha Dhital from Little Things. She will be mentored by Legislative Awareness and Advocacy Director Srijana Shakya Jyoti
More than 125 young women were in attendance at the event. Training sessions focusing on leadership, digital literacy, entrepreneurship and workplace were offered and stories depicting the journey of the seven women were shown in a short video.
In celebration of Zonta’s Rose Day, yellow rose pins and frames with an inspirational quote written on them were also given to the guests.