From 10-19 July, Member States of the United Nations (UN), agencies of the UN and NGO representatives will attend the High-Level Political Forum (HLPF) at the UN in New York. The HLPF is responsible for the follow-up and review of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Sustainable Development Goals.
The theme of the HLPF this year is “Eradicating poverty and promoting prosperity in a changing world” and the review will focus on the following goals:
· Goal 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
· Goal 2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
· Goal 3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
· Goal 5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
· Goal 9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
· Goal 14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
As part of the review process, member states are encouraged to “conduct regular and inclusive reviews of progress at the national and sub-national levels. These national reviews should facilitate the sharing of experiences, challenges and lessons learned, with a view to accelerating the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, and are expected to serve as the basis for regular reviews by the HLPF. In 2017, 44 countries volunteered to present their national voluntary reviews to the HLPF.
NGOs with consultative status with ECOSOC are also invited to submit reports to the HLPF. Zonta International, therefore, prepared a statement to the HLPF on the contributions of Zonta International and our Zonta clubs to the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
Read Zonta International’s report on the implementation of SDG5.
If your club has a service or advocacy project that is contributing to the achievement of Goal No. 5 or any of the Sustainable Development Goals and their targets addressing gender equality, please submit your project using our online Local Service and Advocacy Reporting Form for the UN SDGs.
Members of Zonta International’s United Nations Committee in New York will be attending the HLPF. Watch the website and our social media pages for future updates.